Tuesday, January 18, 2011

confessions of a primary teacher.

Bryan and I were primary teachers in our first ward here in Tennessee. We taught the 7 and 8 year olds, and let me tell you, they are crazy..BUT I love them all so much. We had the experience to see 2 of our primary kids get baptized on Saturday, and it was so amazing. We taught them for 6 months, and watched them grow (or still act like little kids) either one really. But it meant SO much to see them take that step in their lives.
Also, there is a boy in our class named Demytri. He is 10 years old, he is confined to his wheelchair, he can't talk, he can't walk, but he is perfect. Perfect in every way. Dema (his nickname) and his mother are from Russia. They moved to the United States to get better medical care for Dema. He was diagnosed with brain cancer when he was a baby, and had a portion of his brain taken out. He has proved all the doctors wrong that said he wouldn't live as long as he has. He has also proven them wrong by showing how much progress he has made in learning, and understanding people.

Dema has these big blue eyes, a beautiful smile, and makes me happy every time I see him. He fills my heart with love and the Spirit. I never knew I could love a child as much as I love him, but I do. He has put my whole life into another perspective.

When ever he came into primary, he would always be in a bad mood, and I would say, Dema!!!! How are you?? He would roll his eyes at me, and just give me attitude, but 5 seconds later, he would be holding my hand, and hugging me, and wanting me to play with his toys that he brought to church.

I miss Dema a lot. I don't see him as much anymore, now that I am not in his ward, but when I see him, I can't help but smile and be so happy that I have been given a blessing such has him in my life.

Working with Dema was a blessing, and I couldn't be more thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment